The Hans J. Wegner three-legged CH07 Shell chair, or Smile Chair, was originally introduced in 1963. A limited series was produced but the project came to a standstill. The chair was relaunched in 1997 and after 34 years in hiding, the chair finally got its breakthrough. In fact, one of the original shell chairs from the 1960s sold for $20,000 at Christie's in London in 1999.
In spite of its three-legs, it is sturdy on the floor and does not easily topple over. Although it is low and does not feature armrests, it is easy to rise from the chair by seizing the front edge and pulling oneself up. It is elegant as a soloist as well as in groups of two, three or more. In 1999, the chair was given the highest possible grade in The Technological Institute of Denmark's test program.
- Seat and back in formpressed plywood in walnut with lacquer finish
- 3-leg base: Front 2 legs are made from one piece of wood, the back leg is a separate element
- Seat and back cushions upholstered in black leather, attached to the shell with screws
- 36.2"w 32.7"d 18.9"seat depth 29.1"h 13.8"seat ht
- Made In Denmark by Carl Hansen & Son
- Warranty: 2 years against manufacturing defects
- No assembly required
- The seat and back upholstery is available in various different fabrics, leathers, or COM/COL
- Shell also available in ash or oak with lacquer/oil, white-pigmented oil or black lacquer finish
- Beech available in all CHS Color lacquers including Merlot, Red, Orange, Olive Green, Forest Green, Teal Green, Sky Blue, Blue, White and Ivory
- Care Instructions: Your product arrives with detailed care instructions. If you need more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- This item cannot be returned